The Wendy Windblows Alert Service
The Wendy ALERT System informs you by Email or SMS (Text) message when conditions at your chosen
Wendy Windblows weather station meet certain criteria - which you can select for yourself.
Once you are a subscriber, you can go to our website, and choose:
- The station (site) you want to check on.
- The wind direction(s) you like.
- The maximum and minimum windspeed (say between 5 and 15 mph).
- Which days of the week you want messages sent, and which not.
- The times of day you want messages sent (say not before 8am, not after 6pm)
- How often you want the system to check for
your set conditions.
The idea of the Alert service is that it's there to warn you of "special" or "favourite" conditions, like, say:
- 5-15 mph, WNW or NW on Wether Fell, (for Paragliders)
- or 15-25mph N, NNW, or NW on the Dyke (for Hang Gliders)
It's a "wake-up" service, that lets you know if your favourite conditions occur at your favourite site.
"Hey! Did you know it's good right now at...?"
The ALERT service is like a friend with a mobile phone, who is standing at the site, sending you a text message
or email, saying: "Hey, did you know it's good here at Devil's Dyke?"
Its value is to keep an eye on things if you are too preoccupied to check
the actual weather manually. Think of it as an alarm clock.
How the Alert System Works in Practice
- If the time and day-of-the-week are within your settings, and suitable windspeed and direction occur
(within your settings), then the system will generate an Alert message to you, either by Email, or SMS, or both.
This is the ONLY Alert you will get for that station today!
In other words, the system has done it's job by warning you that your desired conditions have occurred at
your chosen site. You can set the frequency of
messages at once per 30 mins (if conditions match
your settings, of course), once per hour, once per 2
hours, once per 4 hours, or once a day.
You just set your ideal speed and direction, and the times and days wanted.
- Combe Hill, North, 5-15 mph
- or Firle, NNE+NE, 8-18mph
- Every day of the week except Tuesdays
- Between 8am and 4pm
Cost of the Alert System
Emails don't cost anything to send, of course, but Text (SMS) messages do.
You can set up Email Alerts separately from Text
Alerts, and set as many as you like of each type.
To receive Text Alerts, you have to pay a
deposit of a minimum of £12 for 100 texts at 12p
each, just like a pay-as-you-go phone.
As you receive the messages, they are
clocked off your account one by one. When you get
down to 10 messages left, you'll get a warning text
to top up your account again.
You can do a topup, or check your account
status, by going to the Text Alert Setup Page, and
following the links.
Note: To use the Alert service, you'll need to Log On